Cycling Trails in the Surrounding Area
Explore Torgau’s surroundings by bike. A wide range of differently sized trails await, such as the Torgau Trail, which is one of the most scenic cycling routes in Saxony that connects Torgau with the spa town of Bad Düben.
The Luther Trail was created in 2017 to mark the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, taking cyclists through the states of Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Bavaria and Hesse. The stops along the route are closely linked to the work of Martin Luther and his brothers in arms. The route was actually designed as a pilgrimage trail, but it’s also great for cycling.
A few more insider tips are the 30 km tour of the Ostelbien region to the east of the Elbe and the Windmill Tour (40 km).
Lots of village churches can be found along the Mitteldeutsche Kirchenstrasse in the triangle between the German states of Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Brandenburg. This 35 km route is great for cycling.
Torgau Trail (46 km)
The Torgau Trail (approx. 46 km) goes through the Düben Heath, Saxony’s largest nature reserve. It’s a natural cycling path that connects Torgau with Bad Düben.
Starting Point: Torgau or Bad Düben
Route: Torgau – Süptitz – Grosswig – Weidenhain – Roitzsch – Pressel – Authausen – Bad Düben
- Süptitz: Monument for the Battle of Torgau in the Seven Years’ War
- Grosswig: Mill
- Roitzsch: 16th-century village church
- Pressel: Nature Reserve – Pressel Heath and Moorland
- Authausen: “Fiehn” and “Ludwig” post windmills, a reconstructed Slavic house from the 9th century, and a Germanic nave.
- Bad Düben: Market, town hall, 1,000-year-old castle, ship mill, St. Nicholas Church, Landscape Museum
From Bad Düben, you can merge onto the Muldental cycling track or the Berlin – Leipzig trail. You can travel back on the bus or train (1 hour 6 minutes; connection not available every day).