Torgau Castle Chapel
The castle chapel in Torgau became the first Protestant church to be consecrated by Martin Luther on 5 October 1544. Its architecture still reflects the new foundations of Protestant teachings. The architectural features of the castle chapel in Torgau were used as a model for the construction of further Protestant churches. The pulpit occupies a central position in the room, symbolising the centrality of the word of God. The pulpit motifs and colour scheme were designed by Lucas Cranach the Elder. The organ is effectively placed above the altar in the form of a simple Communion table, illustrating the tremendous importance of church music. Johann Walter composed a seven-part motet for the consecration ceremony. The current model was built by the organ builder Peter Vier in 1994; it’s characterised by its meantone temperament, which allows the music of the Reformation to be properly heard. Various church concerts, organ music, choirs and early music can be found in our calendar of events. Small organ recitals can also be booked by travel groups on other dates.
The services of the local Protestant community are held here every Sunday at 10:30 from Harvest to Whit. Both names – castle chapel and castle church – are therefore correct.
- free of charge at prayer
- entrance fee for groups 2,00 € per person
- may – october | tuesday – sunday 10 a. m. – 1 p. m. and 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- shorter times in the winter months
The visit during the church service is not possible.
- Schlossstraße 27
Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Torgau: email@example.com